This morning, I've (hopefully) revived it again by doing the following:
- Discarding a good proportion of the inactive goo, including everything above and including the mysterious floating layer of hooch.
- Transferring half a cup of clean starter to a clean bowl.
- Giving it a damn good beating with a wire whisk.
- Heating one cup of bottled water to 40degrees.
- Adding water and one cup of organic white bread flour (I've run out of rye) to the bowl.
- Thoroughly mixing starter, water and flour until it looked lovely and smooth and smelled really quite nice.
- Poured into a clean plastic tub, level marked (thank you again Mr Postman), lid attached and placed on my lucky shelf above my desk.