Wednesday 24 June 2009

Sourdough 3.

It's sourdough time again!

I rather hesitantly opened my abandoned starter's tub to find a layer of hooch which had gone slightly opaque and filmy on the top, but once I'd poured that away, the remaining starter smelled great, so it's had a nice time in my fridge and has been keeping itself healthy which is nice to know.

I poured it into a bowl and gave it a bit of a whisk to get it moving and introduce some air and them added the starter's volume in rye flour and warm water (tap water this time, there was no bottle at home) and whisked it up and poured into it's tall plastic tub with a lid. I've marked the level with a red rubber band (thank you again, Mr Postman) and I'll see what happens. It's much warmer weather now, with the temperature at 27 above my desk.

I want to try the no-knead method this time where it gets cooked in a lidded pot, a friend has raved about this technique (for regular bread though, not sourdough) so I think I'll have to do a bit of research online as there's no mention of this method in my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for my newsletter for updates and offers - http://bit.ly/dQVCq5