Thursday 7 May 2009

Sourdough - Day 8.

I'm planning to bake on Saturday - so long as my starter doubles in size overnight, so I've upped my feeding to every 12 hours. I'm trying another method tonight which is:

To half a cup of starter, add
1/4 cup water
3/8 cup of flour

I've put it all in a lovely clean Kilner jar - I've not sealed the lid though, I don't want any explosions above my desk, but I've covered the top with cling film again to avoid the crusty topping.

Time of feed 21.15

If I'm baking on Saturday as I would like to, I'll be following this schedule:

Tomorrow - Friday
09:00: Refresh starter - just before I go to my yoga class, guess what my mind will be on during my downward dogs and headstands!
- Starter ferments -
13:00: Make dough
13:15: Dough kneaded (by hand)
-Amylisation-
13:45: Add Salt
14:00 Finished dough
- Bulk fermentation-
16:00: Shape
-Retard overnight –

Saturday
Pre-heat oven, and bake for 40 minutes.

Then hopefully I'll have some edible bread!

I plan to follow these instructions by Jack Lang over on EGullet which are very clear and concise. I've practically no experience of bread baking, so I'm trying not to be too optimistic, but I really want this to work!

What's happened up to now:
Day 1
Day 2

Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6a
Day 6b
Day 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sign up for my newsletter for updates and offers - http://bit.ly/dQVCq5